Friday, February 27, 2009

Sweetness Overloaded

At last, my marshmallow making went well this time. It was so much fun. I mean last time was fun too but the outcome was a bit disappointing. If you like homemade sweets, I totally recommend you to try it out. I've tried two Martha's receipes and I like this one better for now. It was simply because the other one uses much more vanilla extract and it was a bit too strong for us. It probably takes a few more tries to finalize our own version. Here are some thoughts and tips which kind of combined the two receipes.
I've used a 8 x 8 inch glass dish and coated it with a generous layer of powdered sugar instead of cooking spray. It would be better to sift the powdered sugar because the crumbs will leave an impression on the marshmallow. Also make sure all the gelatin is mixed with water before it starts to soften because the little amount of water is kind of just enough to soften the whole thing. I've also cut the salt to 1/8 teaspoon simply because I don't like the salty taste.
The great news is it seems very messy and sticky but the marshmallow mixture is super easy to clean off with water.
It was easy to cut too.Since I'm not doing the fudge part, I've used powdered sugar instead of corn starch to coat the marshmallow. (I've also tried a few pieces with corn starch, it is less sweet that way. It's actually pretty good too, I might try the non-stick spray method next time. )
By the way, a little note on the candy thermometer. There were many choices but some places only carry the gigantic ones. I was happy to find a decent one at Sur La Table.

Happy Marshmallow!

No comments: