Thursday, August 13, 2009

Orangy Crepes

Crepe Suzette is a French dessert crepe which the crepes are smothered under a rich orange wine sauce. I remember last time I had it was from a "crepe trailer" in Portland years ago. Since then it is just nowhere to be seen. Not to mention Crepe Suzette, I never have any luck in making crepes, either too chewy, too thick or too bland. I had given up trying for a long time. But I love crepes, so finally I got my act together and gave it a try again. I once again altered a recipe based on Chef Emeril Lagasse's recipe.

make six 7 inch crepes
1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon whole milk
1/3 cup flour
2 large eggs (smallest in the carton)
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
1 1/2 tablespoon sugar
pinch of saltIn a large bowl, whisk all the ingredients together. (Remember to melt the butter! I've totally forgotten as you can see my nice piece of butter sitting on the sugar which I later scooped back out to melt.) Whisk until it becomes a smooth and thin batter. Cover and refrigerate for 1 - 2 hours.
Put a small or medium pan (depends on the size you desire) over medium-high heat. When hot, brush lightly with melted butter. Put approx. 4 tablespoons of the batter into the pan and start tilting it to coat evenly immediately. Use a rubber or silicon spatula to check and carefully turn over the crepe when the bottom turns golden brown. Cook until the other side turns colors slightly. Repeat the same with the remaining batter and brush the pan with a little bit of butter if necesscary. It may take one or two try to determine the right amount of batter and time.

the Orange Sauce

1/4 cup unsalted butter
1/8 cup sugar
1/8 cup orange juice
1 teaspoon orange zest
1/8 cup of Grand Marnier
Melt butter and sugar in a medium pan over medium high heat until sugar is melted. Add orange juice, orange zest and Grand Marnier, stir together and cook until smooth. Fold crepes into quarters and put into the orange sauce. Warm the crepes until thoroughly heated and transfer crepes to plate. According to the orignal receipe, you should add 1/8 cup of Grand Marnier over the sauce and ignite it with a match but we skipped this part because the liqueur is pretty strong in the sauce already and we don't want to burn down our place. Scoop some sauce over the crepes and serve. Cover the leftovers and keep refrigrated up to 2 days. To reheat, put crepes in microwave and cook for 30 seconds.
The crepes tasted a bit eggy since I used more eggs and less milk than the original recipe. I might try one large egg and 1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoon of milk next time. And I wasn't able to find a nice orange so I used tangerine instead. It turned out less orangy as I expected. But overall, it was very delish. I mean it can't go wrong with butter and sugar and I was lucky in the crepes this time.
Happy Thursday!

No comments: